Friday, January 2, 2009

Smashburger

Smashburger makes the drugstore lunch counter burgers of my childhood. Without the terror of regression.

I am not normally a big eater of burgers, although I do love to grill bison burgers in the warmer months. My bison burgers are better than any restaurant hamburger I've ever had, beef or bison.

Until Smashburger.

It started innocently enough, as a stop on the way to the mountains a couple of summers ago. "Hm, let's give them a try."

All was well, since I hardly ever went that way along Interstate 70, except when heading for the mountains. Then, I started being out in Denver West & Applewood a lot more. Danger, Will Robinson.

A griddled burger done right, wallowing in its own juices (yes, blood!) is like nothing else you've ever tasted. You can keep your flame broiled. Smashburger is it, for me.

Fortunately, I otherwise have a high-fiber diet (honest: I eat muesli for breakfast. Voluntarily.) and a falling cholesterol number. This is especially good, since, in December, I won a drawing for $100 in free burger certificates, meaning 20 (count em, twenty) free Smashburgers for me. And my friends. Maybe even you.

If you even remotely ever eat meat, do try. Order the 1/3 lb. Classic, with their default condiments, whether you normally would, or not. You're forgiven for leaving off cheese, if (like me) you are a meat purist, but do try it their way, for condiments, before insisting on your way. And try the veggie frites. Mmmmm, fried asparagus!

Smashburger: Applewood location, 3356 Youngfield, at I-70 & 32nd.

5 comments:

  1. How about those Veggie Frites and their dipping remoulade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm off remoulade for a while, but they were great by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a midwestern imitator (close but not quite Smashburger) try Culver's butterburgers. Very similar in taste, with a surprisingly wide menu that even includes walleye pike when in season! Had 'em in Chicago but saw 'em while driving thru Iowa too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a Culver's in Thornton, at 9790 Washington St. Then, I also want to resample Good Times, who use Coleman natural beef. Anyone know a burger joint (not a steakhouse) who uses only grass-fed beef?

    ReplyDelete